Proper Pipetting Guidelines
Consistency in all aspects of pipetting procedure will significantly contribute to optimum reproducibility. Be sure to use:
- Consistent pickup/dispense rhythm while pipetting.
- Consistent speed and smoothness when you press and release pushbutton.
- Consistent pushbutton pressure at the first stop.
- Consistent immersion depth.
- Minimal angle (less than 20 degrees from vertical).
Prevent liquids from being drawn into the pipette shaft by taking the following precautions:
- Never invert or lay pipette down if liquid is in the tip.
- Pipette slowly, holding pipette less than 20 degrees from vertical.
- For P-5000 and P-10ML model pipettes, use the special safety filters supplied.
Use proper tips:
- Tips must seal properly on the shaft to assure an air-tight seal and avoid leaks or poor accuracy.
- Tips must be soft and flexible so that the shaft is not scratched or worn prematurely.